The world and how it bugs me

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Kerouac


As many of you know, Adalee and I spent a few days in a fire tower with CJ in idaho last summer. It was awesome and I can't wait to do it again. I use a picture of the skyline at sunset as the wallpaper on my cell phone screen still. I am reading a book by Jack Kerouac called Lonesome Traveler. One of the chapters is about a summer he spent in a fire tower in Washington state and how much he loved it. One of the paragraphs really inspired me so now you all must read it:
"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength. --Learning, for instance, to eat when he's hungry and sleep when he's sleepy." -Jack Kerouac
Thoreau also had some similiar feelings on the subject. I have had the pleasure to experience this in small doses in the Uintas and desert country. Obviously I have cabin fever and winter has just begun. I am in trouble. Cj, get the reservations ASAP please.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home