The Canyon Grand



Hey.....well Adalee and I took a little trip last week to Kanab and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Each year millions go to the Grand Canyon, but only 10 percent of those people go to the North Rim they usually go to the South Rim. The North Rim is about 8000 feet in elevation at the main lodge and is on the Kaibab plateau. It is liking driving through the Uinta mountains and then coming to the Grand Canyon. It was very pretty with the fall colors and the cool temps, but was still too crowded. Tour bus after bus pulled in with idiots pouring out straight into the gift shop and the restaurant. Without the tourists (which I do not consider myself one) it is one of the coolest places I have ever been. You can stare into that canyon for hours and never take it all in. I do not know if Ed Abbey wrote this line or if he quoted it from someone else, but now I appreciate the meaning of it "Stare not into the abyss lest the abyss will stare back at you" I am sure I mis-quoted it but you get the idea.
Adalee loved every bit of it, we stayed in a cabin about 50 yards from the edge of the canyon itself. We were considering taking a mule ride but Adalee wasn't old enough and I was too big for the 220 pound limit. Discrimination I say. The bastards.
Ty and Sloan came up the next day and we spent it taking little hikes with the kids and having a picnic. On the way down the mountain we stopped to make dutch ovens and sit around a fire. It was a pretty good day.

1 Comments:
At 12:51 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Gaze long into the abyss and the abyss gazes into you.
Fredrick Nietzsche
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home